Dec 26, 2008

Blessed Christmas....

Today is Christmas(at least, it was 32 minutes ago)...

I must say, this year has probably been one of the best Christmases in the very long time. I've always had good Christmases, but I had nothing to remember them by. I don't remember much from last year other than a few parties and dropping off oranges at the police department on the evening of Christmas. What made it special to me though? What kind of mark did it leave? Heck, I probably can't even tell you what I got last year..

Every year, my parents tell me its not going to be a big Christmas(gift-wise), yet I'm still always blessed. I know my parents really try to stress how serious they are, but either they're being defeated, or their idea of giving gifts to us is far beyond my expectations. I wouldn't say I got my number one listed item, but I have been blessed, no matter what I got. I seems as if physical possessions don't mean all that much to me right now. All the worries and issues I've had this year were far from being tangible, so my general mindset is already on non-tangible things.
But, anyways, This Christmas has been *significantly* different than previous years. A couple days ago, I was talking to Kason about the meaning of Christmas and importance of talking to family about the meaning of the gospel. Behind all the gaudy Christmas signs and jolly santa suites there's a much deeper meaning that too many people neglect, even as Christians. I think one of the reasons this year has been so quick and different was that I didn't take much time to get into the holiday as it was provided by stores and media, but rather in fellowship with family and friends. A fake holiday passes by slow and meaninglessly, but a season celebrating Christ's first love passes by quickly, packed with sentiments and legacies. Sure, it was fast, but that's what made it special.
Michelle's boyfriend, Edgar, stayed with us since Tuesday(he and Michelle are leaving for El Paso in a few hours). It was definitely different to have another person in the house for Christmas, but it was also a great opportunity to get to know him better too. I visited with some relatives on Tuesday night that I haven't seen since last Christmas. The fellowship and laughter was added comfort. :-)
Last night, my family(Ed included) went to Pizza Hut for Christmas Eve dinner (as tradition calls for) and looked at Christian lights. Kason joined us for Christian-light looking. Overall, my family had a great time looking at lights together. The extra fellowship with Ed and Kason made it a whole lot more cheerful, even for my mom. :-D
We all went home after that and watched The Christmas Story on tv(which none of us had seen) and continued our fellowship. Not to mention, Kason gave me his christmas gift to me, which was.. really cool(which is a blatant underestimating). Later in the evening, my mom invited Kason and his family over for Christmas dinner(although, his parents decided to stay home, so just Kason came. I was a little in shock to hear such an invitation coming from my mom toward someone unrelated to us... on HOLIDAY at that, but it was a pleasant surprise to say the least. My grandparents joined us for dinner as well(like usual). After a while of talking, my family decided to watch my moms new movie "Mamma Mia". Originally, my grandparents would leave after a movie if the conversations were boring enough, but my mom suggested Kason play some guitar for us. The next thing I knew, the entire family was singing Amazing Grace, including my grandmother... who never sings. :-)

I honestly don't know what happened. My whole family was in a wonderful mood today, and the things that normally make a holiday feel like a holiday ACTUALLY HAPPENED.
It was wonderful.
I am very blessed...


Ahh...
God is wonderful. I thank Him for sending His son.
:-)



shall post pictures later.....

No comments: