Jun 10, 2008

Thankful

*sigh*

I went swing dancing this evening with my mom and sister. We used to go every Tuesday almost two years ago, but Michelle went to college so we didn't continue. Ben invited us to come again, so we did. I didn't have a dance partner for the majority of the time, so I found myself unbearably bored for awhile, but once free dance had started, I had many guys asking to dance, most of which were 30-40 years older than me. What surprised me, though, was how many questions I got about the t-shirt I decided to wear(D-now 2005 "Are you awe-full?"). After telling one man(while dancing, I might add) what the shirt meant, he replied with a boisterous "Really?!". He told me he was Jewish and what his beliefs really apply to. I asked him if he considered himself to be saved, and he told me "absolutely!". It was interesting talking to him about it, and I was really surprised to get an opportunity like that.
We ended the dance with him telling me "What a great witness that is.."

I'm so thankful for things like that.
No, I didn't lead someone to Christ, but I talked to someone about Him.
I don't normally do that, especially to complete strangers whom I find slightly creepy.

As I sat in the car on the way home this evening, I was reminded on how much "stuff" has taken over our lives, and how much money is being put before God. I passed by a nice furniture store, and watched a large slick red truck drive by, and I thought to myself "Why?? Why do we wants so much stuff? Why must we have the nicest car, or prettiest home?"
It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.
Life is way more than that.
Life is Christ.
Christ only.
Technology is so overrated.
Designer clothes are sought after too much.
And for Pete's sake, Godiva Chocolate shouldn't cost 25$.
All these "Must haves" are just distractions from what really matters.

Take some time to get in touch with God, through what He gave you... His word. Take some time to think about what matters... His children, whom He wants to be saved.
Talk to someone.
What do you have to lose?
What if you do lose something?
Well, that something wouldn't matter anyway.
It's just "stuff". That doesn't only apply to tangible possessions.


I'm thankful for God's gifts. They're provided by Him only, not human.

No comments: